September 29, 2014
So this week was pretty awesome. Hopefully I can do it
justice.
Monday I welcomed in fall with the limited edition
pumpkin yogurt at Yogurtland. I was faced with the difficult question of what
toppings to pair with it. Obviously I went with sour gummy worms.
Tuesday we picked up trash because we realized we haven't
done that in a really long time. The hills of Yucaipa are looking good.
Wednesday we went to do service with a less active family
and they fed us a massive breakfast. As in, MASSIVE. Biscuits and gravy
("you need more than that!"), bacon, sausage, eggs, milk, and a
pumpkin muffin to top it off. I'm pretty sure I would have rolled.
That night we had a lesson with our 94 year old convert.
We sat outside this time, and anytime someone would walk by he would be like
"these are my sisters!" This one lady was like, "That's
impossible." Way to go Carl.
Thursday we had the most awesome day of service! We got
to go up to Oak Glen and help a school for the blind on their field trip to
there. We thought they were going to be little children. Definitely older folk.
I quickly realized I had no idea how to help blind people, but I eventually got
the hang of it. And they were really appreciative. At the end when they were
loading up onto the busses, one of them was like "Go Mormons!" Ha.
And guess what?! You know that saying "blind leading the blind?" Yeah
I saw it happen in real life. Actually, it was more like the less visually
impaired leading the more visually impaired. That was the other thing, not all
of them were completely blind, just at least legally blind, so you had to
figure out to what level of blindness they were so you could help them out.
Tricky tricky.
Friday I got to go to the movies. Actually, we went to
the Stake Center and we got to see "Meet the Mormons!" It's a movie
made by the church that will be hitting theaters October 10th. All missionaries
are to see it before then, so we can do just this: tell you that it's
completely awesome! Seriously though, the movie is sooooo good. And I'm not
just saying that. It's a documentary like film that highlights six members of
the church. It's meant to increase understanding and awareness about just who
"mormons" are. Here's the thing: it was only supposed to be shown in
visitor centers, but they did screenings of it with random people (not members
of the church) and 74% said they would recommend it to their friends. So the
church decided to make it go big. All net proceeds will go to charity (mostly
the American Red Cross). But really, you should go see it. You're laughing at the
beginning, crying at the end (well, at least if you're a missionary or the
mother of a missionary), and just feeling all good inside throughout. Highly
recommend going to see it. Did I mention that I think you should go see it?
Okay, not convinced? So my birthday is coming up. It can be a present to me :)
I know... shameless. But you won't regret it! Oh yeah! And one more thing.... I
know people in it! Booyah! The first person they highlight is the bishop in the
ward I served in in Atlanta, Georgia! Ha! I got a little choked up. I totally
know afro lady. Don't know what I'm talking about? I guess you'll have to see
the movie ;)
Copy and paste the link below into your browser to watch the trailer and find the location of a theater near you that is showing the movie.
Saturday the D family daughter got baptized! There were a
few hiccups in the service, but I think it was mostly things only the
missionaries picked up on. Plus her dad got to baptize her :) It was wonderful.
And way less stressful than the parent's baptism. Plus that night was the
General Women's broadcast which was awesome!
Sunday was testimony meeting, and guess what... the dad
in the D family got up and bore his testimony. And it was powerful. There were
tears in my eyes. To just have worked with him for so long, and then to see him
up there bearing his testimony, talking about how he knows this is true and
getting all choked up? Oh my goodness. On par with watching a baptism.
In other news, the transfer just ended. It blew by. Two
left. Sister Magleby and I are staying in Yucaipa, so I think I will probably
end my mission here.
Now it's time to go to the pumpkin patch! Yay!
Love you,
Sister Tanner
No comments:
Post a Comment