May 5, 2014
Well people, apparently the craziness has decided to
follow me to Odessa. We were on lockdown again Sunday night, but other than
that I have not really been affected by it. Unlike in Lugansk, I do not live in
Center. But enough of that.
It was a beautiful day, and I have never had so much fun pulling weeds. I also made friends with a kitty kat.
The Elders spent the whole two hours digging out this massive tree trunk, which they then threw on a pile to be burned. Ukraine is so cool. And it is so beautiful now. Ukraine is actually beautiful! Everything is green, there are tons of tulips and lilacs; the transformation has been amazing.
Thursday was a good example of what happens to a missionary without a schedule. We had to be at the building by the temple by 10:00am to exchange companions because they don't have a transfer meeting here. So I had to be there by 10:00am, but the train to Odessa didn't leave until 10:00pm. So I was stuck there all day. I think I sat on my bum for 6 hours and wrote in my journal (trying to catch up), and talking to other people going to Odessa. At one point we were like, "hey, we're stuck here all day, and we're right next to the temple....can we go inside?" So we asked for permission to go to the temple, and we got it! I never thought I would get to even see the Kiev temple, and now I've been inside! Words cannot describe how incredibly good it felt. So much peace, so much joy. Literally I could not think of any of my problems. It was exactly what I needed. I'm telling you, make every effort to make it to the temple.
That night was another stressful, "make sure
everyone makes it on the train," night, but not as bad as leaving Donetsk.
Everyone was in several four bed cabins (no open coupes!), and the Elders made
sure everyone's suitcases made it on the train. Which meant I arrived at my
cabin to discover it completely stuffed with suitcases. It also meant I had no
idea where my suitcases ended up, and had to do another "just lie down in
bed and don't think about it." Still not as bad as leaving Donetsk. And
yes, I had a bed, because after the two other sisters sharing a room with me
arrived, we tetrised everything around and managed to fit everything and expose
three beds. Boss status.
Friday morning we were greeted at the station by our new
companions. Sister Gillespie (Geelespee) is so cool! She's a lot like me,
except she dresses way better. But we get along real well. Maybe too well. We
already have a goal to stay better focused. She has also already been a Sister
Training Leader for a while, so she knows what she's doing :) We share an
apartment with two other sisters, Sister Beaudin (she's from the Donetsk
Mission) and Sister Huntsaker. They are both awesome, which makes living with
four sisters much easier. I'm really excited for this transfer, and feel some
good things coming up :)
My branch in Odessa is very, very small. Maybe 25 people
(non-missionaries), mostly older folk, and I think maybe two families. And now
it's overstuffed with missionaries. I think we account for a third of the
congregation now. Sister Gomm, whom I replaced, used to play the piano for
Sacrament Meeting, and so now I do. It feels good to use my piano skills again.
| the chapel in Odessa |
Nothing much else to report on, but this next week should be good. Enjoy the nice weather! It was really warm here, but then recently the temperatures dropped, but I already put away my coat and tights, so now I'm just toughing it out. I'm surprised I haven't been told I won't be able to have children yet. It is also about to hit monsoon season, so that should be fun :)
Love you all!
Sister Tanner| a park in Odessa |
No comments:
Post a Comment