Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Ukraine seems like a distant dream

May 19, 2014

I'm sad to say it, but Ukraine seems like a distant dream. I guess you could say I've pretty much settled into California. But really, did I only arrive in America a week and a half ago?
Last Monday ended with a perfect lesson with the D family, a family Sister Webb and Sister McConkie have been trying to teach forever. This was our first official lesson, so we were pretty nervous, but it went so well. I don't think I've ever participated in such a spiritual, smooth lesson. It's pretty nice to teach in English - I feel like I can really say what it is I want to say. And the discussion can flow better, because I can fully understand what it is they are saying. Just a whole new feel, really. And this is my first family I get to teach! It's all just very exciting.
Baptism smiles

And now I'm just going to jump to Saturday because we had a baptism! It was for this little adorable eight year old girl I got to teach a bit. She is technically considered a convert because neither one of her parents are members. Her grandpa is, and he is the one who baptized her. Her grandmother is not. But man, this baptism means so much, because it is softening the hearts of her parents and her grandmother. Apparently her grandmother used to be pretty against the church, but over the years she has softened, and after the baptism she came up to us sisters and just thanked us profusely for putting together such a wonderful service. We were very pleased with how well it went, and with how many ward members showed up to support. It was standing room only in the font room. It also felt great to fill a real baptismal font. I also got to play the piano for a musical number that I received the music for that day. It's good to know my piano skills will still occasionally come in handy here in America.

What happened the rest of the week? We taught lessons. Apparently less than Sister McConkie and Sister Webb are used to, but to me this is a dream. I probably talk about Ukraine a little too much with them. I still pray out loud in Russian, and I'm just lucky Sisters Webb and McConkie like it. Sometimes when we go to lessons, they're like "who do you want to say the prayer? You can ask Sister Tanner to do it in Russian." And then they always say yes. But it's great, because I can be super honest in my prayers without risking offense ;)

What else do we do? We walk. I don't think I even walked this much in Ukraine. But it's great. We have people that we need to stop by, and so instead of just driving there and wasting miles and missing people along the way, we park the car in a central location and walk. And it is HOT. People tell us to be careful. But my tan is coming along great. I already have a pretty great foot/shoe tan. The other day we were outside for a long time because no one was home. We finally went to a member's home to ask for some water, but she wasn't home either. So...we used some of her hose water. If I was in Ukraine, no. But in California? Sometimes you just need water. :)

One more thing. In Ukraine, people don't even know what a taco is. Here, there are Mexican restaurants on every corner. It's great. I got my first Mexican food at a restaurant on a split (Sister Webb is a Sister Training Leader). I saw churros were available, so you know I ordered some. So too did Sister McConkie and the other Sister we were with. Little did we know, it meant each of us got a plate full of six churros. Woops. Such are the adventures of the California, Redlands mission.

Sorry I don't have much more to write. I have a feeling the rest of my mission may just be a little more...quieter. People keep saying, when they find out I left Ukraine, "Oh, you must be so happy you left." Ummm....no. I love Ukraine. But I also love California, and this is just going to be the rest of my mission.

Love you all!
Sister Tanner
new district
                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment