April 28, 2014
Okay. Well this week has been cool. First off, for all
those wondering about the people speaking Ukrainian situation, may I remind you
that when I first entered Ukraine I did not even speak Russian and I somehow
managed.
Communication is actually a lot of non-verbal cues and guessing. And besides, for the most part if you speak Russian to somebody they will respond in Russian. But that will not even be a problem now, because transfer information came out this week and I'm MOVING TO ODESSA where everyone speaks Russian. I never thought I would serve in Odessa, but I am way excited because I have only heard wonderful things about it. Oh yeah, and I've also been asked to serve as a Sister Training Leader. Ummm...what? I feel like the least qualified person to serve in such a position, especially right now when I barely feel in control of myself. So yeah, that's going to happen. Talk about some growth coming up.
Communication is actually a lot of non-verbal cues and guessing. And besides, for the most part if you speak Russian to somebody they will respond in Russian. But that will not even be a problem now, because transfer information came out this week and I'm MOVING TO ODESSA where everyone speaks Russian. I never thought I would serve in Odessa, but I am way excited because I have only heard wonderful things about it. Oh yeah, and I've also been asked to serve as a Sister Training Leader. Ummm...what? I feel like the least qualified person to serve in such a position, especially right now when I barely feel in control of myself. So yeah, that's going to happen. Talk about some growth coming up.
But cooler than all that is our investigator S! Who wants
to be baptized! So last week we met him on the street while contacting. We went
up to talk to him, he at first kind of blew us off, and then as he was walking
away Sister Reece was like "oh yeah! Do you know anyone who might be
interested in hearing our message?" and then he walked back and ended up
talking to us for a long time. Near the end of our conversation, he realized
who exactly we were, and he told us that his nephew is actually a member, and
has been trying to get him to investigate the church for a long time. He told
us maybe this was the time. So then fast forward a couple days, we call him, he
was hoping we would call him, we meet, he agrees to be baptized, we've met
several more times, he has met several members, he caught the last hour of
Stake Conference, we met his nephew, and his nephew says he can already see a
big change in him. This guy is progressing fast! We really did just meet him at
the right time. Unfortunately life is rather hard for him right now (for
example, he is currently living on Maidan, as in one of the tents) and I can
see some potential challenges for him ahead, but he is truly sincere and wants
to change, which is most important. I will for sure be praying for him while
I'm in Odessa. Fun side story! After talking to S's nephew a bit, we
learned that he was one of the first missionaries in Lugansk! Small world!
In a bit of sad news, we had to say goodbye to a large
group of missionaries who are ending their missions this transfer (one transfer
early). I knew and served with a lot of them, so this was probably the hardest
goodbye. I guess that also means I'm getting older on the mission....
Even sadder though, was saying goodbye this morning to Sister Gibbs. Sister Gibbs is one of the sisters I've shared an apartment with these past weeks, and she is just amazing. Unfortunately her back decided to poop out, and so she is returning to the states to have that figured out. While I really want her to get better, I sure am going to miss her here. We also got word this week that all senior couples are leaving Donetsk, and the Lochheads are returning to America, but will continue to work with the branches from there. It about broke my heart. I really don't know much, but what I do hear doesn't sound good. I really don't know if I will ever return to the Donetsk Mission.
Even sadder though, was saying goodbye this morning to Sister Gibbs. Sister Gibbs is one of the sisters I've shared an apartment with these past weeks, and she is just amazing. Unfortunately her back decided to poop out, and so she is returning to the states to have that figured out. While I really want her to get better, I sure am going to miss her here. We also got word this week that all senior couples are leaving Donetsk, and the Lochheads are returning to America, but will continue to work with the branches from there. It about broke my heart. I really don't know much, but what I do hear doesn't sound good. I really don't know if I will ever return to the Donetsk Mission.
But let's go back to good news. Stake Conference was this
weekend! It was so cool to see so many members of the church in Ukraine
gathered together. And the Primary performed - that is the future of the Church
in Ukraine! It was all in Russian or Ukrainian, plus I was in the back where
all the little babies hang out and throw their toys around, but it was still
great to be present. I really love Ukraine.
I think that is all I will write this week. Except one more piece of big happy news I forgot to write about... the Ward party the missionaries threw! It was a big culture event, and I spent too long making an awesome bird piƱata among other things, and the party was a huge success with a lot of members and non-members. Woopee!
But yes, I need to go. Love you all!! Pray for Ukraine,
please.
Love,
Sister Tanner
No comments:
Post a Comment