Wednesday, May 28, 2014

DUI stop

May 27, 2014

Okay, not going to lie. I'm exhausted. So I apologize if this letter is not the best part of your week like I know it usually is. Just kidding. But not about the exhaustion.

This week began with an intense game of volleyball on Monday that left me with a sore arm (apparently stretching your forearms is a thing), and a sore neck for the next couple of days. But Tuesday I received a package full of California appropriate clothing that received the immediate stamp of approval from my companions, i.e., they were immediately borrowed.


Wednesday we had an exchange, and the other sister came to Sister McConkie and I this time. We had a lesson with an investigator, C, who wants to be baptized but is just receiving zero support from her parents, so the date has been pushed back. Well, we tried to set a solid date, and she prayed, and then was like "I want to do it this Saturday" which was her original date. Okay! So we quickly tried to plan it, and then set off trying to make it happen. Things just started falling into place.

Well, then comes Zone Conference on Thursday. Zone Conference is a great time to learn, and it is sometimes a great time to realize everything you are doing wrong. It included a great presentation on how to properly plan a baptism, and we realized all of our flaws. And then after Conference we got a voicemail from C saying that she told her family, they were understandably upset, and while she 100% wants to be baptized, she no longer feels comfortable with Saturday. Of course we had to understand, so then we set about undoing everything we did Wednesday. And then suddenly holes began to appear, and it became apparent that to wait was truly best.

Thursday was another exchange, same deal as Tuesday. This day also included a lot of walking, and at one point we met a lady on the street from Indonesia that turned into a very strange lesson involving all kinds of stories about babies, miscarriages, demon babies that kill their mother, half-bat, half-human monsters, and Jesus being her boyfriend. It was just a mess. And then the sister we were on an exchange with was so kind as to set up a return appointment with her on our behalf. We were supposed to meet her in the park on Tuesday. A little update, we got stood up. (Not a big surprise).

That night after exchanging back, Sister Webb was driving us home on the highway, and there was a DUI stop. Well, Sister Webb had left her wallet in her suitcase in the trunk, so we had to pull over to get it. But then some police directed us to pull over into one of the parking spaces so we could get checked out. Three sister missionaries pulled over at the DUI stop. Well, when the officer saw Sister Webb's Utah license, he realized we were missionaries and told us he wasn't too worried about us. Sure enough, they soon let us leave. But, thanks to that lovely missionary rule, Sister McConkie, to her embarrassment, had to get out and back Sister Webb out. I found the whole thing hilarious. (In an effort to reduce the number of accidents that mission cars are involved in, when a missionary is backing up a car, their companion must get out of the car and direct them.)

Saturday we weekly planned, and it took forever. I wanted to die. But then we went to a magical fair land called Oak Glen, and ate tons of food, and tried to stop by some people that weren't home. I will probably be returning there after my mission to go to all the fun little places there.

Sunday was magical. Our investigators came to church and loved it. Lessons were perfect for them. Unfortunately the day had to be tainted a bit with transfer news. Sister McConkie will be leaving our little trio, but I'm lucky enough to get to serve with Sister Webb another 6 weeks.

Memorial Day was good. Started with pancake breakfast at the church. The Palmers made us incredible burgers to eat. Sister McConkie said goodbye to some people. Yep. I was reminded I was in America.

Anyway, so that was the week. I feel like a lot happened, because it did. Unfortunately, trying to write it all would take hours.

Love you all, take care :)
Sister Tanner


No comments:

Post a Comment