December 1, 2014
It's December! That means everyone else finally gets on
board with me about celebrating Christmas :) I'm already enjoying the lights
that are starting to go up. Definitely more Christmas cheer than last year.
Thanksgiving Day was fun. We delivered hand turkeys
in the morning, and then learned that our planned Thanksgiving
"dinner" was actually at 2:30. Then afterwards we stopped by a less
active member's house to pick up some turkey, because he had injected and deep
fried it. I was going to say just like my daddy does, but then I learned today
that he no longer does that... (This year Troy
still injected but then smoked the turkey. It tasted just as good but clean-up
was easier so he may never go back to deep frying.) Well anyway, the
turkey was delicious, but it turned out we were invited for the whole meal, so
we got Thanksgiving dinner #2. We got dessert to go though. And then we went
over to a non-member's house who invited us to pick up some pie, and we ended
up eating pie with all of them while they ate dinner. And then we got
Thanksgiving dinner #3 to go. So...I'm surprised I didn't explode. That was all
back to back by the way. Member to less active member to non-member. So a
pretty awesome Thanksgiving.
Saturday. I'm going to include a tidbit from my letter to
my Mission President:
"I have a confession: We did 10 hours of service in
one day. And this is how it happened:
A member of our ward works for the city and was in charge of running the Silver Jubilee Dinner for Yucaipa's Winterfest. It was a big dinner and program with all the big wigs of Yucaipa to celebrate 25 years of cityhood. We said we could come help set up at 10am. We planned to stay for about 11/2 hours. Our planned amount of time ran out, and looking around, there were not enough volunteers for the amount that needed to get done, in the amount of time left. So we stayed a little longer. We worked through lunch. Then it became crunch time, so we worked a little harder. The people really in charge came and expressed their thanks. We were going to leave for dinner, and they said we could just eat there (it was being catered by some of the best small businesses in town). So while waiting for food, we became impromptu line greeters, and got to talk to many of the people at dinner. This was all done in proselyting clothes, with our tags on. We would tell them we were from the LDS church, and they would express their thanks. Then after dinner, we were asked to hand out goody bags. I gave one to the mayor. And then we helped clean up. And that is how we ended up in a 10 hour service project."
A member of our ward works for the city and was in charge of running the Silver Jubilee Dinner for Yucaipa's Winterfest. It was a big dinner and program with all the big wigs of Yucaipa to celebrate 25 years of cityhood. We said we could come help set up at 10am. We planned to stay for about 11/2 hours. Our planned amount of time ran out, and looking around, there were not enough volunteers for the amount that needed to get done, in the amount of time left. So we stayed a little longer. We worked through lunch. Then it became crunch time, so we worked a little harder. The people really in charge came and expressed their thanks. We were going to leave for dinner, and they said we could just eat there (it was being catered by some of the best small businesses in town). So while waiting for food, we became impromptu line greeters, and got to talk to many of the people at dinner. This was all done in proselyting clothes, with our tags on. We would tell them we were from the LDS church, and they would express their thanks. Then after dinner, we were asked to hand out goody bags. I gave one to the mayor. And then we helped clean up. And that is how we ended up in a 10 hour service project."
Other good things that came from this: 1) Sister Davidson
and I got to know one of the other volunteers there, a twenty-year old girl who
goes to the University of Redlands. Apparently she had never talked to
missionaries before. Now she knows that we are (fairly) normal. 2) One of the
establishments catering was Angus McGurdy's, which is owned by an on and off
active member, and we got to chat with him quite a bit during clean up. He also
said that all us missionaries that helped could come in for lunch today and get
a free meal. 3) I got one of the goody bags, which included a limited edition
coin commemorating the 25th anniversary of Yucaipa's cityhood.
Sunday we both woke up exhausted and sore. I had this
kink in my back from whipping out 200 goblets of ice in about 10 minutes. That
was during super crunch time. I would pull the goblet out of the box and hand
it to Sister Davidson who would put ice in it, who would then hand it to
another volunteer who would put it on the table for the elders to grab and put
on the tables. I was doing fine until I started going through the boxes and
they kept getting lower and lower until I was squatting and my calves were
burning and my back aching but there was no time to rest. It was a thrill. I
also got glitter all over my face and clothes from decorating a bunch of
trees. It was fun though when people would ask us things like they thought
we knew what was going on. Good times Saturday was.
Sunday morning I prayed for a miracle. And at 8:50pm I
saw one when a less active member we've been working with for a long time and
always refuses to pray out loud...prayed. He actually volunteered to say the
closing prayer. My jaw almost hit the floor.
So that was this week! I hope everyone is enjoying their
holiday season. Stay safe putting up lights. Don't get in fights at the store
buying presents. Check out christmas.mormon.org
(that's the He is the Gift initiative, right?)
Love ya!
Sister Tanner
Sometimes, the animals like to enter our little house and
make themselves at home.
Also, and you can add this to my letter,
This week the Palmers made the wonderful decision to give
Roxy back to the breeder. She may have been cute the first week, but she has
continued to wreak havoc ever since. The last straw was, she figured out how to
jump into the chicken enclosure and terrorize them. She does not listen to
correction. She has done many $$ worth of damage. She's not even fun to pet. So
I was only a teensy bit sad to see her go. Apparently the same was said for the
Palmer children. One cried for about 5 minutes, and then not another word was
said about her.
No comments:
Post a Comment