December 15, 2014
Well folks, this is it. My last letter as a missionary.
You could say this is trippy. It was suggested to me last night that I should
write one last letter next week, about my first week back. I may just do that.
Anyway, this week has been CRAZY.
Everyone decided they wanted to feed me before I left, so
we not only had booked dinner appointments, we had a lot of booked lunch
appointments. Just roll me off the plane why don'tch ya.
Monday I got my toenails painted all sparkly red. For my birthday
Sister D gave me a "gift certificate" for a pedicure at her in-home
salon. So I got sparkly red. Then I was informed I couldn't put socks or shoes
on for several hours. Oops. Luckily we had emailed already, but we didn't get
any grocery shopping done. Turned out for the better though because of all the
meal appointments.
Wednesday I got to go to the temple! It was a really neat
day. All 26 of us missionaries going home soon got to go to a session together
with the Van Cotts. Afterwards we all went to a Chinese Buffet together. We
chatted up the people there. We chatted amongst ourselves. It was neat to get
to know some of the other sisters I'll be going home with. I like them! Oh
yeah, and I had squid tentacle with the suckers and everything. Very chewy.
After lunch we went back to the Mission Office and had a little going home
thingy because we didn't get one on Sunday. (They
did not do a departing missionary fireside because there were 26 missionaries
going home.) We wrote letters to ourselves that will be mailed to us
three or so months from now. President Van Cott gave a little spiritual message.
We had a question and answer session with the Van Cotts for post-mission stuff.
Most of it revolved around dating (of course...). Then an ice cream and fudge
break, followed by a devotional where we could share an experience from
the mission and share our testimonies. It was really nice.
When I got back to Sister Davidson it was right to a
dinner appointment (see?!) then over to see Carl one last time, and then to a
returning to activity member and his new wife. They surprised us with
dinner.... But we ended up having a great lesson with them and picking up the
wife as a new investigator. As I talked with them, I was reminded of why I love
being a missionary, and I was getting all excited to see their progress. Then
as we set up the return appointment I was reminded I won't be there....
But it had to come some time, and I'll be glad to be
home.
Friday I went on an exchange! It was nice to be out of
the area and not thinking about going home. And it rained! And it was cold!
There were trucks coming down from the mountains with snow on them. I think
I'll be in for a bit of a shock when I leave California.
Saturday we had a lunch appointment with some members.
Then they "abducted" us and were like, "we're going to the
parade!" So we got to see the Yucaipa Christmas parade, but I was kind of
uncomfortable being stuck there. But what can you do sometimes...
That night we also had dinner with the family we had
Thanksgiving dinner with. Their neighbor also came over and joined us. I was
glad I was able to talk with them some more and say goodbye. Maybe one day
they'll listen to the missionary discussions.
Sunday was crazy busy. During Sacrament Meeting I got to
give a talk. Normally I like to write out my talk, read over it, rehearse it a
bit, time it, etc. Ain't no missionary got time fo dat. So I made a little
outline, got up there, rambled, and sat down. I think it did make sense though,
because people said they liked it. Phew.
Lots of goodbyes were said Sunday afternoon. I packed as
well. Sunday evening I got the wonderful and unique opportunity to have dinner
with my Aunt and cousins! We got special permission, and I think because I'm
leaving so soon, and so is Sister Davidson, President Van Cott figured it
might do more help than harm. It was a really fun visit, and the Palmer family
was very gracious and let us take over their dining room table.
Right afterwards we ran over to some members to play the
piano for their older singles' activity. We arrived and they were like
"good! We need you to play piano to bring the Spirit back from us arguing
over our white elephant gifts." Oh dear. It was kind of weird to see older
singles, because they acted like 20 year olds...but they weren't. Like when
they all piled on the same couch. They each also received a "mistletoe
preparation kit" with mints and things. I was given one too...
That night it was time to pack some more.
Same thing this morning. Because guess what? This time
tomorrow I'll be on an airplane heading home. I still don't know if I believe
it.
It's been amazing to be a missionary. I feel so blessed
to have been able to do this. Wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. I
know Christ is our Savior. It has been my privilege to represent him
these past 18 months.
Love ya!
Sister Tanner
No comments:
Post a Comment