April 21, 2014
Wow, I'm not really sure where to start. First off, let
me answer some questions. I think I am finally settled in. At least until
transfers in a week. So basically, we are here in Kiev for the long haul
(couple months maybe), and so transfers next week are going to be HUGE.
Everyone is getting mixed up. Unfortunately for those who only have a transfer
left, they will be sent home. I am currently in an apartment with four sisters,
but I'm lucky because the apartment is actually quite large. Largest apartment
I have lived in yet. Sister Reece and I's stuff is in this one extra room, but
we have to share a fold out couch bed. Because this is against the white
handbook, we shall be buying a blow-up mattress for me today. After being a
little weird at first, we are all (Sister Reece, me, and Sister Robertson and
Gibbs) enjoying each other's company. The other sisters are awesome, so all is
well.
Some little differences about Kiev: It is HUGE. It is
beautiful. It is so much cleaner than Lugansk, and especially Donetsk. I have
already eaten at a Dominoes, a KFC, and in an hour I will eat at a TGI Fridays
(me = spoiled). People will talk to you in Ukrainian. You know it's Ukrainian
when it almost sounds familiar but you actually have no idea what they are
saying. Just as I did as a greenie, I just guess at what they are saying, and
respond accordingly, the difference being I can respond more intelligently as
my Russian has improved. It works most of the time. Church services are in Ukrainian,
which I think I already explained. I'm getting better at singing in Ukrainian.
I live in a WARD. An actual ward with like, around 150 regular comers I think (or
more). The first member in Ukraine lives in my ward, which is pretty legit.
And, funny story: due to various circumstances including being emergency
transferred out of every single one of my previous areas, I have never borne my
testimony in Russian in front of a branch or ward. Well, well, well, lucky me
my first time got to be this last Sunday, in front of probably the largest ward
I will ever see on my mission when they had all us new missionaries bear our
testimony. Thankfully, it all went over okay.
In other news, we still occasionally keep in touch with
Lugansk, but I'm afraid it will be much harder after the transfer. The branch
president has promised he will call the taxi driver with whom we were going to
meet, in order to meet with him and share with him the Plan of Salvation.
On Tuesday we had a big multi- Zone Conference, where I
got to meet President and Sister Kleibengat. They are amazing. And they both
emphasized that we are Kiev Missionaries now, and that unity is really important.
An important message for both sides to hear. I felt very welcomed, and it
helped me feel more settled in. Bonus: I was re-united with my MTC sisters! It
was so great to see them, to hug them, talk with them. All of us kept
mentioning how crazy and unreal it was to see each other. (Four of the sisters from Diana's MTC district had gone to the Kiev mission and Diana and Sister Finalyson had gone to the Dontesk mission.)
So the Kiev Mission way of doing things is slightly
different, and I'm actually loving it. They have a big emphasis on
"creative contacting," and so on Tuesday when our whole district had
a huge chunk of time, we went to a park to contact people creatively. The idea
could have been a little better formed, but it was developed the night before.
Still, it worked. What did we do? Went bowling! We brought big water jugs, and
bought big workout balls. Then we bowled the most happiest, enthusiastic way
possible and invited people to bowl with us. We actually got quite a few people
to try, and even if they didn't join, people enjoyed watching. We also brought
cookies, and while some people bowled others went around and offered people
free cookies. Fun, and we got quite a few contacts. As the control to this
experiment, another companionship just did straight contacting/tracting and got
nothing. So creative contacting works.
In other news, we have no investigators, but I'm still enjoying
life every day. This mission also emphasizes visiting members, and building a
relationship with them, so we always have members to meet with. And from
contacting people on the streets and stuff, we have a couple contacts that I'm
really hoping agree to meet because I am really excited to work with them. If
they only knew how much this gospel will bless their lives! Missionary
anxiety.
Fun fact: every day I get to hear the word
"Maidan" as it's a metro stop. It's kind of wonky how close I am, and
how much of a normal part of my life it is now.
Oh Easter! Happy Easter everyone! Ukrainian Easter was
the same day as in America. It was a pretty normal day. We decorated eggs, ate Ukrainian
Easter cake (ie. eggy bread), and told people "Christ is Resurrected"
and they have to respond "In truth, He is resurrected." It's a
tradition and I love it. And everyone was carrying their little Easter baskets
around to have their food blessed at the churches, which was fun to see.
| making Easter eggs, a bunch of Easter eggs and Easter eggs and Ukrainian cake |
Sister Tanner

No comments:
Post a Comment