October 14, 2014
Since Columbus Day shut down the libraries, I now have
the great joy of writing to you on my birthday.
First off, a big THANK YOU to everyone who wished me, or
will wish me a Happy Birthday :) I really do appreciate it, even if I do not
write back individually.
Side note: a big thank you to anyone who has written to
me in the past as well. I understand I am terrible at writing back, but I
promise it makes me very happy inside.
But yes, Happy Birthday to me. At 21, I am now old enough
to serve a mission...under the old rule.
Can you believe that was a whole 2 years ago?! Where has
time gone?
Anyway, this week was pretty good.
Our investigator, C, texted us saying that her parents
talked to her again, and she was thinking of postponing her baptism. Then she
stopped texting us. We were sad. But I said this week was good, and it was.
Because yesterday she texted us out of the blue and wanted to meet, and then
texted again saying that she was going to go ahead with her baptism on the
25th! So we have a baptism to plan :) This is a miracle, made possible by
months of hundreds of prayers.
We got to teach Activity Days, or the 8 to 11 year old
crowd. We taught them about how what they’re doing now helped prepare us to
serve missions, and then we ate the dinner they helped make for us. It was
pretty funny to see their interactions with one another. You can definitely
tell the 11 year old "get me out of here" ones.
We picked up some trash. I found an empty medical
marijuana bag. Only in California.
We wandered the hills of Oak Glen and found the less
active we were looking for! It was exciting. He said the church was "not
for me." Actually, funny story: So his mother sent us to look for him
weeks ago. We only had general directions, and if you don't know Oak Glen,
there are just a bunch of houses hidden down dirt roads and lots of trees. So
it was really exciting that we found him. He sees us and is like "what can
I do for you" and I blurt out "your mother sent us." Only then
did I realize that I was talking to a 20-something single man, and we were two
single 20-something females, which can give off the wrong impression. So I
quickly clarified we were missionaries. Oops.
We had another strange encounter. So to make a long story
short, our bishop asked us to help him find the mother of a less active,
because he was really busy and could only stop by so often. So one night we
stop by and you have to walk down this long driveway. We reach the door, ring
the doorbell, and the dogs start barking. Well suddenly we hear this creepy
older lady's voice, and she’s like "oh stop my puppies. There's nothing to
be barking at, etc." And then - get this - she looks out the window RIGHT
AT Sister Magleby and goes "I don't SEE anyone out there." And then
walks away. We were spooked, but we knocked again. The dogs start barking. And
then the lady is yelling at them to be quiet. So ever so quickly and quietly we
get out of there. We went back the next day, and again, we were ignored even though
we know people were home. The mystery must be solved.
We had Stake Conference, and for the first time on my
mission I got to attend the Saturday night session. I don't think I have ever
enjoyed meetings so much as on my mission.
I think that is pretty much it for the week. Apparently I
get a birthday party this year, because we're having dinner with the Palmers
and they invited the D family and another family from the ward. This was not my
doing. I'm trying to keep it small but Sister Magleby keeps telling everyone
it's my birthday. Which is only the same thing I will do to her on her birthday
(which is the 29th by the way).
One more funny story: Speaking of birthdays, we delivered
a birthday card and the two kids answered the door. After I hand the son (probably
7 years old) the birthday card, I'm like "it was your mom's birthday
yesterday, right?" He says "no," and for a second I'm confused,
but then he goes "it was last night." Ah. Of course.
Love you all! Have a great week!
Sister Tanner
Sister Palmer sent this to me this morning. It looks like there was a birthday party.

No comments:
Post a Comment