Thursday, August 21, 2014

Rattlesnake does not taste like chicken

August 18, 2014

Dear people reading this,

Today Sister Webb and I officially learned we shall be parting ways. She is being flung out into the desert. To Yucca Valley. I told her to find the Beast of Yucca Flats for me, but she had no idea who I was talking about. Unless you know the movie, you too shall be confused.

I'm staying here in the Yucaipa First Ward. I'm excited, but also slightly terrified to "take the lead" here. Ha. But it will be okay.

Umm...so...
This week Sister Webb and I got to role play in front of the entire zone. You can bet we role played our role play.

That same zone meeting we also ate rattle snake. Two elders killed a rattlesnake in a member's yard, and the member skinned and gutted and cooked it for them. It was rather chewy and tasteless (so not like chicken). I have pictures.




We had some more chicken drama this week. Last Monday we came home from email to find a dead, mutilated chicken on our front porch. Like, the bloody neck was on our welcome mat. I thought about taking a picture but chose not to. We had to walk right past it several times. Roxy is now in obedience school, as that was probably the third chicken she has killed. Despite the fence the chickens keep getting out (at their own peril), and so we have to shoo them back in occasionally.

I have become an avid chicken watcher. They are fascinating.

We went on two exchanges this week, with less than 24 hours between them. I had to go out to one because I was still not cleared to drive, but I got cleared the day of the second. Which means I can now drive. Yes... after 14 months of never touching a steering wheel I drove. I felt like I was fifteen all over again as I sat behind the wheel for the first time; everything felt awkward. But it didn't take long to fade. And I didn't crash! I didn't even terrify my exchange companion. A miracle.

The D family was not baptized this week. We're still trying to reschedule.

Actually, at about the time we would have been at the baptism, we were in the hills of Yucaipa picking up trash and avoiding rattlers and black widows. I realized we must be the daintiest trash picker-uppers ever with our skirts and gloves, picking up trash one piece at a time. But hey, the hills are looking cleaner.

I kind of feel bad for my new companion already, as this ward LOVED Sister Webb. It helps that she and Sister McConkie were the first sisters the First Ward had had in a looong time. Did you know that we are one of the few wards that only has one set of missionaries? Most wards here have a set of Elders and a set of Sisters. That is crazy to me.

Okay, I keep trying to extend this letter, but I don't have much else. Haha, sorry.

Love you!
Sister Tanner

No comments:

Post a Comment