Wednesday, August 13, 2014

I used Russian in California

August 11, 2014

When I think back on this week, you could say it kind of hit me in the gut.

Monday night we received a call. Long story short, the D family is no longer to be baptized on the 16th of August. They still want to meet, but they don't all have a testimony of the Book of Mormon or Joseph Smith yet. Turns out, not all of them have been reading, so we told them to do so if they truly want an answer to their prayers.

Wednesday I went on an exchange to Palm Springs. I don't see the appeal of Palm Springs. I will say it is completely different from Yucaipa. At one point we were meeting with this older member lady, and when she learned I spoke Russian she suddenly said hello and asked me how I was doing (in Russian). It threw me off at first, but my instincts kicked in to respond. So there - I've used Russian since coming to California now.

Thursday I spent all morning and afternoon at Missionary Leadership Council, learning to be a better missionary leader. Then we got home, and Sister Webb got super sick so I had to reschedule our lessons. And spend the rest of the day doing bookwork.

Friday we weekly planned. Then at lunch break I got another phone call. And that is when I learned Buddy passed away. (Our 15 year old dog.) Yeah that hurt. But I can say I'm grateful I learned then, and not today. So I had till the end of lunch to fix myself up, and then we had an appointment right then. But the appointment resulted in a new investigator, breaking the dry spell. So silver linings. That night as we left for another appointment we opened the door to find Roxy, the Palmer's puppy, practically eating one of their chickens. She was just ripping out feathers like it was a toy, and blood was everywhere. We got her off, the chicken ran into the hen house, I locked her in for safety, and reported the incident to the Palmers. Roxy got in trouble, and...

Saturday a new fence was built around the chickens. In case you are wondering, the victim chicken is alive, if not a little featherless on the rear end. Roxy is officially in the "terrible twos" and a complete fiend. My love for her is strained.

Saturday morning I got to do some more service sorting donated shoes for a charity drive. A lot of stinky, wet (from the rain storms) shoes. Sister Webb got shoe juice on her skirt. Gross. Then later that day I got kind of sick, along the same lines as Sister Webb's sickness, ie. pretty woozy and weak. I did not have it as bad as Sister Webb, thankfully, so I was able to go to a baptism with the mom and daughter of the D family. Then they took us out to dinner :)

Okay - funny story. So not this past fast and testimony meeting but the one before, Sister Webb bore her testimony. Then a couple of weeks later, it did not seem that the last speaker would make it, so the bishop asked if I would bare my testimony. Well, the speaker showed up and I avoided it. Then the next week Sister Webb was supposed to give the opening prayer, but then we got the program and it said I was to. Sister Webb offered to do it anyway, but I said no, I would do it. As soon as I said that (before the service started) the bishop walks over and is like, "So the high council speaker did not bring a speaker with him, so since I see Sister Tanner is saying the prayer, would you, Sister Webb, mind baring your testimony?" Ha. Well, the next week Sister Webb said the opening prayer (see - they switched the order of the prayer giving on us). And THEN this past Sunday we're going along in the service, and it comes to the last speaker, and it turns out he's not there. And so the bishop gets up, and asks if Sister Tanner would come up and bear her testimony (I have no idea how to spell bear in this case). It was my Jonah moment. Not even any time to think about what to say. Hopefully it came out understandable. Of course I had to then be followed by two young men who just got back from their missions.

Those RMs were a little weird, may I just say. I hope by the fact that I could recognize that, means I won't be quite as weird. I did learn though, that I was pretty stiff when I first came from Ukraine. As people would comment on the two RMs, they would be like, "yeah - you've changed a lot since you got here Sister Tanner." So sorry family, you missed my culture shock.

By the way, this letter took a long time because this man next to me kept talking to me about all kinds of things that I wasn't quite following, and I think he kept throwing out Bible verses to see if I knew what he was talking about. I have to admit I was a little distracted, but he was pleasant enough. And then he says "and you know what the scriptures say about who my brother is, who my sister and mother is..." and I'm like "well, we're all children of God." And he's like "NO. That is not what the Bible says. You don't know your scriptures." And then he stood up and left. So sorry mom, but that is why this letter took so long. All the missionaries around me writing home to their families had a good inward chuckle about that one.

Yep. That was my week. Hope you all are having a great end to your summer! All the schools around here are starting up again this week if not the next. Craziness.

Love you!
Sister Tanner

No comments:

Post a Comment