June 30, 2014
I have a problem. I live one day. And then another. And
pretty soon I've lived a week, and all this stuff has happened, and then I sit
down on Monday to write about it and it's all gone. So I apologize.
This week was the week of exchanges. Due to a scheduling
mistake earlier, we had two this week. We've been trying a different way to
exchange, where we exchange at lunchtime. Jury's still out on how we feel about
it. But I quite enjoyed my time in Banning. Banning is a little less affluent
than Yucaipa, so it was kind of like coming home (mission wise). Plus wonderful
things happened. For example, we found six quarters on the ground, and three
were state park quarters! I was so excited, but then I realized they were in
front of a house, and here I knew was a test, because the Lord knows I started
collecting state park quarters, and here were three, but they possibly belonged
to the owner of that home. So we went up, knocked on the door, and asked the
man if these were his quarters. Nope :) And he thanked us for our honesty.
Score! So I got three guilt free state park quarters, and I gave the other
three to Sister Swan to use for the car wash. Plus I had two awesome
lessons with amazing investigators, got to eat dinner at an old people community
club house, got an Oreo shake (remember - no fast food in my area), kissed (or
got kissed by?) a parrot, AND that night we knocked on the door of a potential,
and after striking up a conversation with her, I learned that she lived in
College Park like me! College Park is where I lived in Atlanta. She even knew
my apartment complex, because apparently her brother lives there! It was
perfect :) Unfortunately that next morning Sister Swan threw up. Twice. Turns
out so was the other sister with Sister Webb. Sister Webb and I actually texted
each other at the same time saying our companions were sick. So we had to end
that exchange a little early.
The next exchange I was working in our area, and it went
a lot smoother than the last. It helps that we had a car this time, but I'm
also becoming more confident. Highlights of that day included walking around in
the sun and becoming dehydrated (waves of nauseousness = no bueno), and
then becoming all better at a pizza party that night :) We were invited by the
couple who we helped set up for their daughter's wedding, so I not only got to
see the bobcat again, I got really good pizza. Lucky, lucky me. This
exchange ended normally.
In other news, Sunday was awesome. First off, the
son in the D family has been making us very happy with his
experiences with the Spirit. He's started reading the Book of Mormon because
"something just told him to" and this past Sunday he was
alone with his grandparents, and again, because "something told him
to" he took the initiative and looked up the nearest church building
and then took his grandparents to church! And the husband was alone this
weekend, but came to church by himself! I love the D family so much. We've
had people praying for them, and for the son specifically, and they are
working in big ways :) This Sunday was also wonderful because Sister Webb and I
actually got to go to the patriotic fireside that evening. To our
non-missionary peer folk around us it was clearly not the most engaging, but
Sister Webb and I were eating it up. It was nice to just sit there...and enjoy.
One last fun snippet: this week Sister Webb and I also
got to teach our favorite 94 year old recent convert C. Unfortunately signs of
age are beginning to just now show, as he told us about five times (literally)
that "well, I guess Jesus was the first prophet," and we had to keep
telling him that Adam was actually the first prophet. We had a girl with us who
leaves for her mission in August. Now isn't that just the thing to get you
excited for missionary work ;)
Anyway, that was my week! It's crazy, but next week is
already the last week of the transfer. Sis. Webb and I are hoping we get to
stay together for another, but you never know.
Happy Independence Day! I certainly never expected to see
this much red, white, and blue on my second 4th of July on the
mission. But hey, I'm not complaining :)
Love you!
Sister Tanner
No comments:
Post a Comment