Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Flashback to Ukraine

July 7, 2014

What a week! I'll try to hit the highlights.

So Wednesday I had the ever so lovely opportunity to go on an exchange to a Young Single Adult ward. As I ate dinner in the home of two guy roommates with their friend who's a girl, and they talked about young single adult things and half flirted with each other, I felt like I caught a glimpse of Doug's life. Oh the joys of going home one day. I do not envy the sisters who serve there. :) I did, however, get to eat at Chick-fil-a and Jamba Juice because the exchange was in Redlands. So there are definitely some perks.
                                                                      July 3

Thursday we had Missionary Leadership Council/Conference (don't know what the C really stands for). It was an inspiring time as always, and both Sister Webb and I walked away with some ideas of how we can improve our area, especially our work with the members. It's all about working with the members these days - nothing will happen without members. Basically, my mission is actually preparing me to be a good member. Fun little miracle that day! So MLC is at the mission office, which means you can pick up mail. I had a package waiting, and I was wondering what ever it could be; open it up, and find a new journal! Which was awesome because I was literally to the last page in my journal.

That night we were at the park doing some bookwork, and a firework went off, and it triggered something in me. It was weird, but it was like this super fast memory of Ukraine, because they were always setting off fireworks there, but suddenly I was in Donetsk, not knowing if it was a firework or gunshot, and it was mixed with all the sad emotions of leaving Ukraine. Anyway, it was super fast, super weird, and suddenly I was in tears and apologizing. But then I was fine, like, two minutes later.

So then we had the Fourth, and you would think "oh dear, there are tons of fireworks on the Fourth" but we didn't see any. Yep. Our curfew was 6:00pm, and we were to be inside, weekly planning. But it was still a crazy awesome Fourth. We went up to Oak Glen that day, the beautiful mountainous part of our area, and planned to drop off some notes before going to a park bench to start Weekly Planning. Well, we were walking down this steep road after dropping off a note, when this little black bear starts following us. Actually it was a dog, part something, part pitbull, but it looked like a mini black bear. We kept thinking she would turn around and go home, but she never did. We got all the way down the road and crossed the street to our car, and she still followed us. So now we felt guilty, but didn't want to waste all the time and energy to walk her back up to her house.
So...well...the white handbook doesn't say anything about dogs in the car, so I opened the passenger door, told her to get in, and she just crawled right into my lap and we drove that little black bear back home. Opened the door, she jumped out, and that was that. Then we made it to our park bench to be surprised by the Palmers, the people we live with, coming out of a trail head. So that was a pleasant surprise that ended up with them buying us wonderful sandwiches and eating lunch with us. And then when we really settled down to Weekly Plan the storm clouds that had been threatening us decided to finally release their fury upon us in the form of golf-ball sized hail. You should have seen us trying to gather all of our things and dash to the car. We had to wait out the storm in the car, and by then it was time to go back down the mountain to normal Yucaipa. They also got some pretty heavy rain down there. We thought maybe we could see fireworks from our little house, but all we got was a beautiful sunset. I was okay with that :)







Saturday we picked up garbage. So our mission president wants us to be doing around 10 hours of service per week, and when there are no service projects in the area, we're supposed to go find a busy street and pick up trash. In our proselyting clothes. So we did just that, and had a great time. One guy told us we were either the best looking, or best dressed roadside crew he had seen (not sure which). We had several comments from members on Sunday asking what in the heck we were doing on the side of the road. Orange jumpsuits were suggested for future excursions. Saturday we also got to spend our dinner hour at a BBQ which the whole ward seemed to be invited to. When they learned we were using our dinner hour, it was announced the food would now be served so the Sisters could eat. Talk about embarrassing. But it was great fun :)

And then Sunday was just awesome. We had seven investigators make it to church, which is way beyond anything I ever could have dreamed of. We had an unplanned wonderful lesson with the D family. Some other great stuff happened. And that night we learned that Sister Webb and I are both staying! Can you believe a whole transfer has already passed? It blew by. But anyway, Sister Webb and I are both stoked we get to stay in the Yucaipa First Ward together. We were so close with so many things - we just couldn't get transferred. This next transfer is going to be awesome :D

Anyway, so a good week! Hope you all are enjoying your summer!
Love you!
Sister Tanner

                                                 English nametag has arrived

No comments:

Post a Comment