Saturday, January 4, 2014

Transfer to Lugansk


December 30, 2013

Whew! Okay this week has been CRAZY. But good. So first, a story that pretty much captures my relationship with the buses in Petrovsky. On the way home Monday night, Sister Ahlstrom and I were on the bus talking to each other. We come to our stop - the stop I have come to many, many times before - and for some reason I just don't move to get off. I'm looking at it, thinking "this is our stop," Sis. Ahlstrom is looking at it, probably thinking the same thing. The doors are open...we wait...and then right at the last second Sister Ahlstrom jumps up and dashes out. So I jump out, knowing that I'm not going to make it. Sure enough, right when I hit them, the doors close on me. But now I have tunnel vision, and I know I should just step back onto the bus, but my companion is outside, and I am finally going to defeat these bus doors. So I push them away from me, the bus is starting to drive away, and I get one leg out, thinking "hey, the bus isn't moving too fast," suddenly everyone on the bus is yelling for the driver to wait, I jump off, the doors close, catching my glove in them in the process, but I am out. I turn around, grab my glove out of the doors, just kind of salute the people in the bus because I don't know what to do, and then run down the hill in embarrassment. But I won, with only a pretty large bruise on my knee where the doors slammed me.

Tuesday. Tuesday was Christmas Eve, but I basically spent it packing. We also had two appointments that evening with ward members, one who is also a less active, and one who we usually meet with, but Sister Ahlstrom hadn't really met yet. Both were so kind to make time on such short notice. And both made us really big Christmas Eve dinners! The one family, the mom was like "I know on Christmas Eve you probably eat a big meal with your families, and you're away from home, so this is all we can do for you." Ukrainian people can really be so kind.

Wednesday was the craziest, most unforgettable Christmas ever. Sister Ahlstrom and I woke up at 5:00AM to open presents and finish up packing.
 
 
Then it was good-bye Petrovksy. We arrived at the Lochhead’s at about 10:00AM, luggage in tow, to help Sister Lochhead prepare for the Christmas feast. We set to work cutting potatoes, cabbage, setting things out, and she even trusted us to make a banana cream and a coconut cream pie. I have never made a cream pie from scratch in my life, but it worked! And Sister Lochhead even approved! I was pretty proud of myself. Eventually everyone started arriving, and then it was a grand time with the Donetsk missionaries. At one point Sister Lochhead had me play Christmas songs at the piano, but eventually some other missionaries volunteered to take over.
 
Good-bye to Sister Ahlstrom
Then it was time to street contact a little (we had a time limit of two hours to party, plus we had just been at the Lochhead's for a while), and we actually ended up getting the information of this one lady. A Christmas miracle. Then Skyping with family. What a trippy experience. It was odd how completely normal it was, like it hadn't been three months since I heard anyone's voice. Unfortunately the sound kept fading in and out, but whatever. And then it was done. And then the nightmare began. I was supposed to head off to Lugansk right then, but my new companion, Sister Reece, was unable to coordinate a new time with her family, so she hadn't Skyped yet, and by the time she could Skype in Donetsk, it would be too late to go to Lugansk. But we needed to get my luggage out of the Lochhead's, so we ended up taxiing my luggage to the internet club, and I sat there with my luggage while she Skyped, then we taxied on over to the center sisters (once we finally got a taxi that was willing to take my luggage), and spent the night there. It sounds really simple, but any time you have to take a taxi with luggage, it is a headache. 

So Thursday morning we woke up early, and left for the bus to Lugansk. It was a three hour ride, and it was pretty foggy outside so I couldn't see anything, so I just slept. After a taxi ride to the apartment (the guy ripped us off), I was home. Lugansk. Lugansk is nice. So I did not manage my time well (hour of computer time), and a lot has happened since I've been here, so here is what I can say.

Lugansk is on FIRE. We have investigators, part member families we're working with, less active members, and guess what...people are actually willing to talk to you on the streets. It's astounding! We also live right by a university, so there are a lot more young people. It's exciting! Sister Reece and I have been so busy these past couple days. We are also both very new to the area (Sister Reece has been here two weeks) so the theme of the week has been getting lost. But really, we get lost all the time. It's kind of frustrating. You see, Sister Reece will just ask people how to get places, and they will tell you something whether or not they really know. So you can ask five different people, and they will tell you five different buses. But I guess that is the way to get to know the city. The buses here also don't have accordion doors, so I haven't gotten stuck in any. Busses are just less crowded in general. We're still trying to get to know everyone, so next week I will have to write more about people in specific.

But yesterday, we left the apartment at 9:10AM for church, and did not return until 9:15PM. Longest day ever. And it never would have happened if a) we did not have the granola bars Dr. Tunstall gave me for Christmas (thank you shout out!) and b) this one member came with us to two appointments and then went the extra mile to personally direct us to the next place we needed to be. The branch here is great, I like the whole Lugansk vibe, I'm just excited to be here.

Also, my second day here I got to attend the wedding reception of a former elder who served here, and a woman from the branch. Kind of awkward, always entertaining. Kind of like when I entered Petrovksy.

I'm sorry about the lack of info on Lugansk. But look forward to more letters to come!
Love you all, and have a great New Year!
Sister Tanner

The following are photos from Donetsk that Diana was able to upload this week.


Cats and pigeons keeping warm


chastney dom area
 

No comments:

Post a Comment