Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Best week of the mission so far

January 13, 2014

Probably the best week of the mission so far. But first, in answer to some questions posed by mother: what do I eat for lunch and dinner? Some combination of vegetables. Some fruit. Maybe some meat. It kind of changes with companionship, and how well you shopped at the beginning of the week. A lot of vegetables. And sometimes, when you schedule a lot of appointments, you end up having a dinner of cake and tea at someone's home. And what is a typical Ukrainian’s food schedule? I have no idea. We never have scheduled lunch or dinner appointments.

And now for a little on the branch in Lugansk. The branch is awesome. We meet on the bottom floor of some building. There is no heat, and apparently only several years ago they bought little portable heaters for the rooms that move around with the different meetings. By third hour a lot of people are just wearing their coats. The branch is smaller than Petrovsky but still pretty big. I would say maybe forty people. Most are about 30 and up. Some 18-29 year olds, one or two teenagers, and probably no more than 5 Primary kids. I don't know when the branch was organized, but apparently recently there was a push to ordain men to the priesthood, and now there are quite a few priesthood holders, and has created this unusual situation that I think I wrote about last week, where it seems the men are more stalwart than the women in some cases.

And now for miracle week. Tuesday we had a lesson with the wife of a member, and she appears more interested than she has in the past. Afterwards, since it was Christmas (January 7), they fed us a "Christmas lunch" of homemade pizza and this other tasty thing. In the classic Ukrainian way, they continued to pile on the food, until you have eaten beyond what is comfortable. We also went less active hunting, and in the process had a wonderful conversation with two old babyshkie sitting on a bench doing their babyshkie thing. They were in their nineties, the one told us all about her family, told us to not rush to get married, and were generally wonderful. They even told us to ignore this man who came up and tried to tell Sister Reece and me off. That night we had youth night, which is really just game night, because it's mostly adults there. We have a Ping-Pong table in the church, and Ukrainians love Ping-Pong, and we also have Uno and such. We need to get more people to come to game night though, otherwise it's not effective and we may have to consider dropping it. But I really don't want to do that, so we just need another miracle like we had with English (which I will get to later).

Wednesday. Wednesday was a miracle of a day. We had four lessons set up for that day, which meant we needed to be really good about being on time. First was with our favorite less active who forgot everything about the church while living in Russia, accompanied by our favorite physically active babyshka (who doesn't really deserve the title she is so active), who demonstrated her kicks and stretches she does for track. I want to be her when I'm 60. Then we ran (okay, sped walked like crazy) to our next appointment, which was with a man R, who is the son of a stalwart couple in the ward, but has struggled with activity. I hope I wrote about this earlier, but we delivered a secret Santa gift to his home at the end of another crazy busy day. He has been to church since then, and has a desire to become fully active now. Because guess what, the scripture, John 3:16-17, which we quickly put in the card for him, happened to be his favorite scripture, and just what he needed at the moment. He recognized everything as a gift from God, and really wants to become fully active now. People, Heavenly Father is a God of miracles! And the miracles continue. You know how we were on a tight schedule? So that lesson was going late, but the niece of the investigator couple we had an appointment with was on the lesson with us, so she called her aunt and uncle and we re-scheduled for Thursday, but then the dad of R, who was also there, heard and offered to come with us as well to the appointment. And then we got to use our dinner hour to continue our visit and have a dinner of cake and tea. And then we were on time to our last appointment, with the wife of another man in the branch, and she actually sat down and listened the whole time, which apparently is not usual for her (aka progress). It was such a miracle day!

I do not think she will be able to darn these
And then Thursday, we had the appointment with the investigator couple O and S, and we were so grateful to not only have their niece there, but Brother K there too. We were talking about the Word of Wisdom, and man, it would have gone much differently without Brother K. I really think he needed to be there. I think if they can see that they really can change and live the Word of Wisdom, they will realize they can live worthy of baptism. That night we also had an appointment with a less active, N, and her non-member husband came home in time to hear it too. He's really awesome, but just can't "intellectually" accept the church yet. But N really wants him to be baptized, and he said maybe one day he will change. And that night we returned home to make some calls to people who said they would be interested in English club, setting the stage for the best English night ever.

So Friday we had district meeting and had to plan, so we didn't get out much, and then we had missionary correlation meeting, but then we had miracle English night. You ready? So my first week in Lugansk, we had two people at English. The next week, three. Then Sister Reece and I did some hard-core calling, and we got maybe 5 or six. After another week of hard-core calling...fifteen. Fifteen people at English club. It was awesome! When else am I going to get to sit in a circle and help lead a group of Ukrainian adults in a discussion of what super powers they would want after making them draw a picture of it in crayon?

Saturday, well Saturday we completely set up the Elders' night. You see, we have basically been told not to contact men. Why? Because men are very forward, and often (too often) get the wrong idea. Case in point, one night Sister Reece, in typical Sister Reece fashion, dropped her planner, but this time didn't notice. A ribiata (young man) picked it up and returned it, and in gratitude Sister Reece gave him a pass-along card. What she didn't know is that I had written our number on these cards. Well, that night we got some emoticon filled texts asking who we were, where we were from, etc. When he asked if we could meet (we said we were missionaries), we just passed his number right along to the elders. We also passed them a contact of another ribiata who happened to start talking to me when he saw my nametag. He seemed more legit, but we just thought it would be better. That night though, we had an awesome lesson with our two investigators, M and D, from Africa. By the way, I never thought I would come to Ukraine, and get to teach people from Sierra Leon, Nigeria, and (hopefully) Zimbabwe. D said he would come to church the next day. Which brings me too...

Sunday! He came! D came! We missed most of Sacrament meeting trying to help him get there, but he was there for second and third hour. I was so happy! And guess who else came? President and Sister Lochhead. It was not only great to see them, but it meant we didn't have to translate Sunday School for D. I did, however, get to attempt to translate for Sister Lochhead in Relief Society. That was funny. She now knows how little I actually catch. But she's a good sport, and totally understanding. That night we went to drop off a Liahona (church magazine) at this less active woman's house we have been trying to contact, and she ended up inviting us in. She is really nice, and we got to meet all of her cats. She is like the most luxurious cat lady ever. She has three sphynx cats, and this huge "Toyger" (I think that is what it is called) named Ali (like in Muhammand Ali). It was so cool. Afterwards we had to run home though (literally run part of the way).
Sphynx cat and Toyger cat    Google them
 
It was such a good week! The work is moving forward, and it's moving fast!
Love you all!
Sister Tanner
P.S Today there is a little snow! We've been waiting for the cold.

At the ballet theater on New Year's Eve
 
The sisters from Center Donetsk, Mariupol and Lugansk on New Year's Eve

No comments:

Post a Comment