December 16, 2013
So this week, aside from transfers, was pretty quiet. The
week started out with drops in temperature and a decent amount of snow.
The snow boots are definitely not overkill anymore. I've slipped several times, but have yet to fall (fingers crossed). On Sister Pharis’ and my last day together, Wednesday, we went out of the house, took a tramby to a different part of town, and discovered we were sorely unprepared for the cold.
Sister Pharis had not even double tighted (a necessity now), and I realized that my fingers were in a great deal of pain, despite the gloves I had. I seriously thought I was going to lose them they hurt so much. So we had to return home and properly suit up before heading out again.
The snow boots are definitely not overkill anymore. I've slipped several times, but have yet to fall (fingers crossed). On Sister Pharis’ and my last day together, Wednesday, we went out of the house, took a tramby to a different part of town, and discovered we were sorely unprepared for the cold.
Sister Pharis had not even double tighted (a necessity now), and I realized that my fingers were in a great deal of pain, despite the gloves I had. I seriously thought I was going to lose them they hurt so much. So we had to return home and properly suit up before heading out again.
On Tuesday we had a last visit with a less active in the
branch, the home where we usually have borsch. This time we got a massive
amount of cold mashed potatoes, cabbage (coleslaw really), and more fish than I
would have preferred (which is really none). But hey, they gave us borsch to
go. It was a little nerve wracking to think that soon I would be in charge of
making sure these people got visited as I introduce my new companion to the
area.
So, faster than I wanted it to, Thursday rolled around.
Transfer day. I totally called it on the new sister transfers. My new companion
is Sister Alstrom! She has been out for nine months now, which makes her, along
with one other sister, the oldest sister in the mission. She is great, really
diligent, and I know we are going to work hard this transfer. I feel that good
things are going to happen in Petrovsky this transfer, so be ready. She is also
one of the new Sister Training Leaders, so I will be going on lots of splits to
Center this coming transfer. Exciting!
So, exciting as it is to be with Sister Alstrom, it was
also really, really sad to say goodbye to Sister Pharis. But she's chillin' in
Center until Friday morning, so I got to see her about 30 minutes ago for the
first time when I came into Center to get on the internet and write this
letter.
But it was hard to come home from transfers and not have her stuff in the apartment. And to wake up, and do normal missionary things, and not have Sis. Pharis there.
It’s just that adjustment period. Apparently it's also especially hard when it's your trainer you’re leaving. But hey, at least Sister Alstrom is great.
Clothes are still working out. Except I now have a big hole in the heels of one of the pairs of my socks. I shall have to darn those up.
But it was hard to come home from transfers and not have her stuff in the apartment. And to wake up, and do normal missionary things, and not have Sis. Pharis there.
It’s just that adjustment period. Apparently it's also especially hard when it's your trainer you’re leaving. But hey, at least Sister Alstrom is great.
Friday we had a lesson with another less active in the
branch, and her cousin was there, who is apparently another less active in the
area, who we didn't know about. So that was a little miracle, and she gave us
her number and address and said we could come visit her. I told you - good
things are coming to Petrovsky!
Saturday we returned to Igor's castle to do more service,
digging a pit. We actually got a lot done. I somehow avoided having to dump
buckets and just got to dig for two hours. Again, it just felt so good to do
some good, hard, physical labor. He invited us back when it’s done to party in
his pool. Afterwards his mom fed us some good taters and cabbage and stuff.
Then he gave chocolate to just Sister Alstrom and I. We split it up among the
elders. But, we are going to have to re-evaluate sisters returning to service,
because Igor was maybe getting a little too friendly with us. It was funny to
watch the two new/green elders in the district pick at the food on their plate,
because it was actually pretty good. They have so much to learn. After service
we all went to the church building together to have district meeting. It was
sans shoes because they just cleaned the building. It was a very unconventional
one, where we basically got to know each other since there are so many new
people.
On Sunday I felt like a big girl at church. Not only did
I play piano/organ for everything, I was the one in charge of talking to the
members. It's nice to understand and be understood. We were supposed to have a
lesson that evening, but he called and cancelled (at least he called). So we
went to the Preach My Gospel class and looked for some less actives. I also
felt like a big girl on Sunday because I could properly take Sister Alstrom
around our area. I did not do such a good job of that on Friday, and it was
sad. You would think after 10 weeks in an area I would know it a bit better.
But I think it all comes with the adjusting to no longer being a trainee.
So now it’s Monday. I just said goodbye to Sister Pharis
for the last time for at least a year. It was kind of sad. But hey, here's to
looking forward.
I hope all of you are enjoying the Christmas season! It's
a little bigger deal in America than in Ukraine, so soak it all up. Here, it's
just exciting when I'm waiting to cross the street and the grocery store is
playing Mariah Carey's version of "All I Want for Christmas." Of
course, Christmas is the best when we remember the real reason for Christmas -
Jesus Christ, and the incredible love that was displayed by him coming to the
Earth. I mean, the Creator of this world came to it not in a powerful, fear inducing
form, but in the tenderest of ways. He really is the Light of the
World.
I love you all,
Sister Tanner
In other news
Our apartment is becoming chillier and chillier, as we have
heat but very drafty windows. Thankfully we have a little portable
heater. Clothes are still working out. Except I now have a big hole in the heels of one of the pairs of my socks. I shall have to darn those up.
No comments:
Post a Comment