December
9, 2013
The
new title of this blog should be "Mother, where am I?" Because I ask
myself this question a lot. This week has been pretty chilly, a little snowy,
but nothing like what America is getting it sounds like. And you all thought I
was going to the frozen wasteland. The first day it actually snowed I maybe got
a little too excited and put on my snow boots - they were definitely overkill.
But the double tights are a necessity sometimes.
Last
Monday was barrels of fun, as we toured the Shaktar (local soccer team) stadium
as a zone. The tour was all in Russian, but I caught some of the translations
for the senior couple, and it was just fun to look around. Plus I got some good
pictures, which always makes a place worth it.
We
did a lot more tracting this week, which can yield some interesting results. We
had more people answer the door this week than before, but that also meant we
had more people look at us, shake their head, call us "devyshkie"
(young women) in a condescending manner, and generally act like we just ruined
their day. Goodness people, we just wanted to share a message that has brought
joy and happiness to our lives, and millions of others. To be fair, people also
declined in more pleasant ways as well. The last apartment we tracted one day,
this man answered who had previously received a tracheotomy, or whatever that
is called. It was kind of trippy. Like talking to a Russian cyborg. He was very
nice though. And then we had to walk down the stairs past some Ribiata (young
men), who made some comments to/about us, that I thankfully didn't understand,
and that when I asked Sis. Pharis about them she just said "not
important."
On
Tuesday, Sis. Pharis was not feeling very well, and during lunch hour was lying
in bed for a little bit. I decided to finally fix this one skirt that I've been
meaning to for a while. So first I prepared dinner for later that night (in the
crock pot), then washed the dishes, hung up my laundry, made some herbal tea
for Sis. Pharis, and sat down in our big easy chair to sew up my skirt. I
suddenly felt so domestic. The mission changes you. I also had to laugh,
because I remember when I first came into country, Sis. Pharis' last companion
was telling me the next day was Sis. Pharis' birthday, and I should fix her
some herbal tea, and I was thinking I didn't even know how to make tea. And now
I know how much honey to put in, plus the fact that she likes to add a little
cold water to it so it’s not so hot. Learning every day.
And
now for a cool short story. So the sisters that serve in Center Donestk called
to say they had an investigator that actually lives in our area, and they were
passing him to us. His name is Slavic, and as they are describing him, I'm
like, "wait, is this the Slavic I met?" Yep! This is that guy, way
back when I was on a split in Center, that randomly showed up to another
lesson, and I had that chat with. So I've met this guy, and he remembers me!
Exciting. We've called him several times, and he's excited to meet, he's just
really busy.
And
now for a hilarious story. So last week I forgot to write about the time my
boot got stuck in the door. Yes, on the way home one night on the bus, our stop
came up, and the accordion door came open, and just happened to catch the very
end of my boot. And that was it. There is no budging those accordion doors.
There I was stuck like an idiot and couldn't get off. So we missed our stop.
And now for an even better story. So we had Zone Conference Friday, which means
we had to ride into center in the morning, when the busses are packed. The 77
bus pulls up, the bus we need, and which doesn't come around often, and it's
already pretty full. Sis. Pharis gets on, this other girl gets on, and this
thing is full. But I need to get on. So I did like a Ukrainian and shoved.
Someone yelped. So now my feet are on, but my body is still kind of sticking
out the door, and it's an accordion door that is now trying to close. The bus
is moving, I'm still kind of hanging out, and this door is smashing me. Somehow
I managed to wriggle myself enough that the door shut. I really did not think
this bus was going to make it, it was so packed. You should have heard it
groaning. So then we come to the next stop, and thankfully the driver doesn't
open the back door (where I am). But the next stop he did, and it is just
smashing me. Thankfully, my guardian angel, the girl who got on before me, and
who I think is the one who yelped, yells to the bus driver to "close the
back door!" But then on the way to the next stop someone indicated that
they needed to get out - through the back. So the stop comes, the door opens, smashing
me, and Sis. Pharis steps out. But I can't get out, because I'm smashed in the
door. So guardian angel yells to close the door. Then the driver starts driving
away, and everyone yells "wait!" So then I wriggle into Sis. Pharis's
spot, they re-open the door, the guy gets out, Sis. Pharis and I step back on,
and the fiasco is done. I was quite the spectacle though.
Zone
Conference itself was great. We learned that the Lochhead’s Christmas present
to us is that on the 31st of December we are all going to go see the Nutcracker
Ballet! I'm so excited! :D Sister Lochhead also made each of us stockings,
that our companion is supposed to fill by Christmas :)
Saturday
was another great day. So at youth night Friday night, two elders in our
District asked if we wanted to do service for one of their investigators
Saturday morning. We were going to dig a pit. Of course we wanted to! So Saturday
morning we head out into the freezing cold, and as a district we went out to
this guy’s house. We took a tram-by to the end of its line, and then it was
another twenty minute walk through chastney dom territory.
It was freezing,
especially because I was not wearing my coat. Or a hat. Anyway, we get to this
guy's place, and it’s a castle. He has built this place himself, and it has a
tower.
He wants another. The pit we were digging was in his basement, and it
will eventually be a pool. We dug, put the dirt in buckets, and then dumped the
dirt in his backyard to make a bike ramp as part of the bike course he's
making. He already has a giant ditch in his backyard in the shape of the Judas
Priest trident or something (not too familiar with Judas Priest).
This guy is
awesome, even if he did originally ask if Sis. Pharis and I were here to make borscht.
NO, we were here to dig, and dig we did. It felt so nice to just do some heavy
labor.
Afterwards they tried to give us borscht, but it was going to take another
hour, and we all had interviews at President’s house that day that we needed to
get to. So they (this guy and his mom), gave us some chicken, potatoes, bread, and
my first ever sala. Sala is basically fat. Maybe I was just in a good mood,
because it wasn't as bad as everyone makes it to be. Not the greatest, but I
didn't choke. So then interviews at President's which are always great, Sister
Lochhead gave us homemade bread, and then we had to weekly plan. So it was just
a good day.
In
other news, this coming Thursday is transfer day. I am staying in Petrovsky,
but Sis. Pharis is leaving me. She has one week in Center with another sister
going home, and then she flies home next Tuesday. Weird. Stay tuned for my new
companion! I've figured out what my options are, and they're all pretty great.
The Petrovsky district is exploding though, a lot of elders are leaving. It
should be exciting!
Until next week!
Sister Tanner
Q
- What do you do for your morning studies?
A
- Morning studies: 8:00am personal study (whatever I feel)
9:00am
companion study (sing, read white handbook, read out of Russian Preach My Gospel,
share what we learned in Personal Study, prepare for any lessons that day)
10:00am
training. (soon, not any more!) there is a handbook for this
11:00am
language study
Diana was finally able to upload photos, so here are a couple of photos from the Thanksgiving feast.
No comments:
Post a Comment