June 16, 2014
This week was an eternity week. Why was this week so
loooooooong? Probably because we got dropped by three investigators, everyone
and their dog was up at girl’s camp, the progress of those we're teaching flat
lined, and we walked for four or more hours a day in the draining California
sun. I would go to bed exhausted, and wake up exhausted still. Actually, one
night this week I finished my nightly prayer, walked into our bedroom, and
Sister Webb was passed out on her bed - skirt, shirt, shoes and tag still on. I
don't think she meant to fall asleep, but she was passed out all
night. I looked for the phone to plug it in that night but couldn't
find it, and figured she fell asleep with it in her hand. Yep. Also, and I feel
pathetic writing this, no one had us over for dinner this week, which meant we
had to break into our little food stores (we don't really have appliances meant
for real cooking) (they are living in a pool house),
and had to eat tuna fish (Sister Webb) and PB&J (me) all week. When did I
become so pathetic? Our house smelled like stinky fish and stinky feet.
We had an older woman in the ward come out with us for an
hour one evening and all our plans kept falling through. So as we went from one
back-up plan to another, she commented "I feel like I'm in a movie."
We're just glad she enjoyed herself :)
Also, we discovered Yucaipa is the biggest small town
ever, as all our investigators seem to know each other. And have mixed feelings
towards one another.... Yikes.
But "wo is me" is over. This week is already
looking to be better. The past week was just one of those where you go
"that happened just this week? It seems like forever ago."
In other news, I got to enter a parakeet atrium this
week. Basically a giant bird cage with parakeets flying around your head. I
also got to pet two baby parakeets. Talk about wobbly heads. Fun fact: if you
touch one, you must touch the others so as not to confuse the momma bird.
Sister Webb and I made sugar cookies at a member’s home
to deliver to our investigators and other people we work with for Fathers' Day.
Somehow I was deemed a sugar cookie expert because I used to cut out sugar
cookies (with a mold) at Christmas. We attempted to hand carve ties,
and even after I discovered a pattern to cutting, they turned out looking like
rocket ship things with toothpaste (frosting) on top. But they still tasted
good :)
On Father's Day I also came to terms with the fact that I
learned how to EAT in Ukraine when I received a massive steak for Fathers'
Day lunch and managed to eat the whole thing. Plus some vegetables and rice and
an ice cream sandwich. And I still managed to be hungry later in the day.
To end, Sister Webb and I are pretty sure we're becoming Yucaipa
landmarks. We always wave to passing cars as we walk, and more and more people
are waving back. You can tell the members because they're the ones that wave
first. :)
Maybe more happened, but I thought it happened last week.
Or the week before. Or a year ago. Who knows? I did manage to write in my
journal every night this week, so we can sort it out later.
Love ya! Hope you have a great week :D
Sister Tanner
Are you still teaching the D family?
We are
still teaching the D family. The daughter actually went to girls' camp (so
we couldn't teach them) but she loved it and even bore her testimony. They are
coming along so well and they may go to temple square this week with some
family friends (the ones who introduced them to us, and who come on every
lesson). Things should pick back up with them.
No comments:
Post a Comment