February 24, 2014
Okay. So, seeing as I am serving in Ukraine, you are all
probably wondering how I'm doing based on what is going on. To be honest, I'm
not sure how much I am allowed to say. But I will say this: for the most part,
we know very little of what is really going on. Kiev has reached Lugansk. Some
more precautions have been placed on us missionaries, including not wearing our
nametags in public, not contacting after 6:00pm, and basically not being out
after 6:00pm unless we have a specific appointment. The work is still moving
forward though. AND, while I feel bad for them, three sisters currently
serving in Russia who are natives to Ukraine are coming to serve in the
Donestk, Ukraine mission, and a fourth who was originally assigned to the Saint
Petersburg mission will instead leave the MTC for here. Four native sisters!
Plus a native elder. All of us sisters are very grateful to be adding some
natives to our mix next transfer.
In other fun news, this week was Sisters' Conference!
Basically two days of heaven. Good food, good company, great Spirit. Last year
I had to sleep on the floor, but this year I at least started out on a mattress
until I was kicked to the floor. Next time. At one point I led a mini
class on Stretching, because the Sister Training Leaders were trying to get
everyone involved and on a split I had mentioned how I've become more
flexible on the mission. I was kind of unqualified, but at least I learned some
new stretching moves. The Conference ended at 5:00pm, and our bus tickets home
were for 6:05pm. A little stressful, but thankfully we made it on the bus with
5 minutes to spare. And then we were greeted by the real world. It was
interesting to really feel the difference as we went home that night.
As great as Sisters' Conference was, it took us out of
our area for two days, so we weren't able to do as much this week. We had to
move M's baptismal date back, but not a huge bump. Actually, the bigger bump is
figuring out whether to move it to the 8th of March or the 15th, but I
won't go into all the reasons why because it's long and boring. We were able to
meet with a former investigator this week though, who I'm excited about. When
we were planning our lesson for him, I received a small prompting to write down
the scripture reference for Ezekiel 37:16-17. During the lesson he had a lot of
questions, which is good, but things started to turn south. I thought of
Ezekiel, and was glad I had written it down because all I had was a Russian
Bible, and I couldn't remember the exact reference. I had him turn there, he
read it, and the whole lesson just turned around. I literally watched his
countenance change. Suddenly he realized that we really weren't trying to go
against the Bible at all, but that, like we had been saying, the Book of Mormon
is just another testament of Jesus Christ. He was more open to what we
were saying, and he agreed to read the Book of Mormon for himself. Heavenly
Father really does know what these people need.
And one more fun story for the road home. So last Monday
I had a problem: it was much too warm and dry to wear my snow boots, but the
zipper on my other boots was 100% broken and kapoot. I was heartbroken. But,
Ukraine is great, and they have lots of little shoe repair shops and stands. I
didn't want to buy new boots, and I was prepared to pay a lot to fix my zipper
(I didn't know if it was just the handle part, or the teeth were busted too).
Well, with great trepidation I walked into a boot repair shop...and entered
fairy tale land. I walked through the door, down some steps, across a little
hallway with blue and yellow striped walls, and up to this little window.
I showed the lady my boot, a man appeared out of a back room, they fiddled a
little with it, and the lady told me "15 grevin." That's less than two
dollars! So the man took my boot into the back room, I got to hear the little
clinks of a cobbler (I swore little cobbler elves were about to appear), and
ten minutes later I had my boot back in perfect working order. I love Ukraine!
That is about it for this week. I'm safe and looked out
for, but prayers are always appreciated.
Love,
Sister Tanner
Ezekiel 37:16-17 Moreover, thou son of man, take thee one stick, and write upon it, For Judah, and for the children of Israel his companions: then take another stick, and write upon it, For Joseph, the stick of Ephraim, and for all the house of Israel his companions: And join them one to another into one stick; and they shall become one in thine hand.
No comments:
Post a Comment