Okay! So this week started off with Sister's Conference,
where all the sisters in the mission (about 25) gathered at the Lochhead's
apartment, and we got to know each other, got some spiritual upliftment,
learned some tricks to the trade, and ate some delicious food prepared by
Sister Lochhead. It was Tuesday and Wednesday, so yes, we had a giant
sleepover. Sister missionaries all over the Lochhead's living room floor. It's
amazing it worked. Let me just say, the Donetsk, Ukraine mission has some
rockin' sisters.
Thursday was Halloween! Not really celebrated here. But
we had English that night, so we had a little Halloween party for the children.
Many of the adults were being poop heads and did not want to participate. The
children had great fun carving the pumpkins we bought, and I just didn't watch
as they wielded our kitchen knives all over the place. We also had some face
paint sticks that got a little messy when the four year old got them. We taught
the children how to trick-or-treat though, which they quite enjoyed (hey! it
ends with candy). I had a stimulating conversation with the adults about
holidays, where I learned the best holiday is your birthday, and the more
alcohol the better (these are not all members obviously).
Friday was weekly planning, and then taking the trolley
to the place of a sister in our ward to celebrate her birthday with all the
other elders. We were all crammed into this little room eating strange meat
cake. It was wonderful. Then we all took the trolley together back to the
branch building to lead the youth in an exhilarating youth night. We said we
would be in charge because they wanted some ideas, so we brought a little
America back and had a photo scavenger hunt. They were not happy at first (they
weren't happy to begin with because we all got there late and they were stuck
outside), but they warmed up to it.
Saturday Sister Pharis and I did some good old tracting.
We went all the way to the top of a building, all 14 floors on foot (yes we
felt it on Sunday), and started our way down. But we ended up skipping the top
couple floors because we both just got an awful feeling in our gut, that said
"get out - now." The lower floors were a bit nicer. Then we did some
street contacting, and actually met a guy who was interested and we hope to
meet with him this coming week - exciting! Then it was off to Metro, the
Ukrainian Costco, to do some contacting, and also to grab some bleenee
(Americanized spelling) at the bleenee stand outside. Bleenee is kind of like a
crepe. Then a lesson that night with a less active, and back home. It's always
good to walk into your nice apartment after a day on the streets, especially
since it keeps getting darker and darker earlier. You just feel a lot
safer.
Sunday was church. I am sure it was lovely. I still
understand very little of the discussions. I have to focus real hard. For
dinner I made experimental apple pancakes. They were...all right. Not very
fluffy though.
And then Monday! Monday was zone sports, where we got
together as a Donetsk zone at some field in Makeevka (Makiivka) and played
soccer. These little kids were cheering us on at one point, which was adorable.
Because we got there early, I also climbed this random rock formation with some
other missionaries. It had some good views of the surrounding lands. The giant
hills in the pictures are mines.
That's about it for the week. Not terribly exciting,
sorry. But here's a fun fact: Ukrainians LOVE their doors. Like your front
door. Everyone's doors are different, and there are door and window stores
EVERYWHERE. But really. There are more of them than America has
McDonalds.
Love you lots! Stay cool, stay in school. And remember
God loves you :)
Sister Tanner
Q - How has your first week off of daylight savings been?
A - First week of daylight savings? Dark. It gets dark
around 4:30pm, and will continue to get darker.
Q - Do you have a curriculum for English class or do you
just teach whatever?
A - No curriculum for English club, we just do our own
thing. And it is NOT a class, only a club. We are not licensed and cannot
officially teach, or we will get in big trouble. English has been shut down
before.
Q - What do you do on P-day?
A - What do I do on P-day? Something with the district.
It changes. There isn't a whole lot to go out and do, but you've heard about
the fun things. We also walk the 15 mins to the grocery store, and walk back
with all the groceries, studies in the morning, write home, and then FHE with a
family that night.
Q - Do you do laundry on P-day or throughout the week?
A - I usually do laundry through the week because it
takes a day or two to dry.
Q - Do you know how many missionaries there are in total
in your mission?
A - Sis. Pharis says there are probably around 75
missionaries total in the mission.
Q - Was your conversation with the adults about holidays
in Russian or English?
A - In English, our conversations are in English. That's
how they practice English because we can't actually "teach".
Keep listening to that spirit and I will keep having faith
that the spirit will keep you safe.
And there are new pictures. The ones with Sis. Pharis and I are from the top of the building we tracted Saturday, and the others are from today.
Q - That is an interesting rock formation. Was it hazy in
the distance or is that your camera?
A - It's hazy in the distance. I told you, the air here
is just kind of dirty. They try to only have people serve 2 transfers in
Mariupol because it’s so bad down there in particular. Factories and mines everywhere
here.
Stay warm Stay safe Share
that light and testimony I love you
I love you :) This little light of mine, I'll let it
shine!Bye!
No comments:
Post a Comment