October 21, 2013
Okay! So this week I was feeling much, much better. It
helped that Monday was my birthday, and my district all went to this
awesome outdoors ropes course. My hands got pretty ripped up, and all passersby
liked to stop and laugh at us, but it was so much fun. We also followed it
up with my first stop at a Ukrainian McDonalds. McDonalds are way fancy here,
and everything is phonetically spelled out in Russian, instead of just
translating it (ie. instead of a "big Mac" it is a "beeg
mac" and instead of Chicken McNuggets, its "cheeken
MacNoogets"). We also bought some delicious ice cream, because the smell
of cake was still making me feel sick. Fun fact: ice cream comes in a bag
here.
Tuesday I went on my first exchange! Sister Pharis is an assistant
Sister Training Leader, so she and Sister Halston, the Sister Training Leader,
went down to Mariupol to go on exchanges with the sisters there. So I ended up
in center Donetsk with Sister Halston's companion, Sister Hassard. Sister
Hassard has been out for about six months, so we were both fairly new. We spent
most of the day doing the studies we missed, and then we had a lesson that
night with a lady named Valentina. We were meeting her at the church building,
and then walking with her to the President's apartment to have the lesson.
Well, she showed up with a friend, a man named Slav. So on the walk over, I
ended up talking, by myself, to Slav. That was kind of scary, but it worked! We
actually had a conversation! Not the most beautiful of conversations, but it
happened. People, this was a miracle. Then, during the lesson, I actually
managed to contribute some, even though we had to completely change plans
right then. Slav just had question after question, but thankfully we had a
member present on the lesson, who could help answer. The members here really
are amazing.
Wednesday I spent pretty much most of the day with Sister
Hassard. We made some delicious pumpkin bread (shredding the pumpkin because a
can of pumpkin would just be too convenient), to deliver to a less active, with
the hopes that if we actually had something to give her, she would allow us in.
We had two loaves with us, because we figured we would visit someone else as
well. So, even bearing gifts, the lady wouldn't let us in, but while we were
sitting outside looking at the map trying to figure where to go next, this
babushka comes out from the building and asked us where we were trying to go.
After we explained to her the place she was like "follow me," so
suddenly (but not so suddenly because she was a babushka) we were following
this old women around center Donetsk. She took us through all these strange
paths, but eventually we ended up at a bus stop and she told us to take the
number 10, and then she hopped on the bus. We gave her one of the loaves of
bread though. While at the bus stop though, this other man began asking us
questions, and we ended up exchanging information. This would have been great,
but we both just got this creepy vibe, and he gave me a holographic picture of
his daughter after we gave him a scribbled down English alphabet, and he also
drank some of my water. He saw my water bottle, asked if he could have some,
and the only thing I could think was how the scriptures are always talking
about giving drink to the thirsty. I washed the bottle well. Also, we realized
that really only number 2 busses were coming to that bus stop, and we needed to
go home anyway because we had spent a long time following this babushka, and
Sister Hassard knew where we were. We ended up stopping by the work of an
investigator and gave her the other loaf of bread; she gave us some grapes. It
was all very exciting.
Thursday morning I went jogging in a prison yard. It was
actually a school yard but it looked like a prison. Sometimes, like when I
scrub the dirt off my carrots and the rocks out of my potatoes, I realize I'm
not in America anymore. That night at English club, a former investigator we
invited to come showed up! That was great :) In case you haven't noticed, our
teaching pool is very small, so it's all about the little successes in life.
Friday we visited a less active, and attended youth
night. My understanding of Russian is constantly increasing, which is
encouraging.
Sunday I hit the grand slam of piano playing at church.
The normal organist wasn't there, so I got to play the organ for Sacrament
Meeting. It was...interesting. And then I played the opening song for Sunday
School, and as soon as I finished playing, I got called in to play piano for -
my favorite! - Primary. Primary is great, because the kids are adorable, I can
actually understand it (I can share the gospel too!), and they gave me juice.
Then after Primary I got to play the opening and closing song for Relief
Society. So I can’t speak, but I can at least play the piano.
Well, that's my week! Exciting stuff, I know. :)
I love you all. The gospel is true. If you don't know it
yet, I encourage you to find out. :)Love,
Sister Tanner
In answer to a question I asked Diana about me mailing or
her buying sheets in Ukraine she answered I will just buy some here. Right now
I am sleeping on the couch wrapped up in a blanket. It's working fine.
No comments:
Post a Comment