August 7, 2013
Okay, the weeks are flying by now! I don't have travel
plans yet (Friday!), but I think I am at less than two weeks now. I'm so
excited! But about the week.
| The must have MTC photo in front of the map |
I don't know if I've written about service yet, but if
so, oh well, I'll just repeat it. Every Thursday morning the sisters in my
district get to wake up earlier than normal to report to service. We have the
wonderful opportunity to clean the rooms for early arrival/international
missionaries. It is always amazing how much of a mess we humans can make in
just one or two days in a place. It is also astounding how many things are left
behind; we often wonder if these missionaries knew they would not be returning
to their dorms. Last week we found a stash of treasure: someone left behind
their napkin absolutely full of M&Ms and Reese's Pieces from the cafeteria
ice cream bar. In the light of the little desk lamp it was literally glowing,
like the leprechaun’s' gold at the end of the rainbow. Moral of the story: I
love service, but I never want to be a maid. On Thursday I also looked like
Peter Pan or Robin Hood. I started out the day wearing my green shirt and blue
skirt, but then I got expo marker on my blue skirt which I had to immediately
Tide-to-Go. However this meant I had wet spots on my skirt so I needed to
change, but I wore my other blue skirt the day before, and I couldn't wear red
because then I would be Christmas, so my only other option was green. With my
brown belt to break up the color a bit, I was officially Robin Hood. The perils
of only having four skirts. I have also since got over my inhibition of wearing
the same skirt two days in a row, as you will soon see.
Friday was Mom's birthday - Happy Birthday Mom!
Unfortunately I had no contact from her if there was to be any, because Dear
Elder messed up and I received a letter addressed to me on the outside, but was
addressed to my district leader on the inside. Who knows who got my letter. It
was quite devastating. Friday we also had our third Skype TRC. We also have a
fourth this Friday. This is actually unusual, as I think the groups before us
only ever did one. So either we are just really good, or the system got messed
up. In any case we teach over Skype and it is always rather stressful. In
addition to Skype we taught Sergei, and I drew a beautiful picture illustrating
prophets and scriptures in relation to construction work, and I think he may
have finally paid attention. It was probably my epic stick figures.
On Saturday we practiced contacting, but both Sister
Finlayson and I forgot pen and paper, so I "memorized" his phone
number to contact him later. Except we forgot to ask him his name. Yes, we have
some work to do.
Sunday was Fast Sunday. A no nap Fast Sunday, with lots
and lots of extra time to study. It gives you a lot of time to actually think
about what you're fasting for. Sunday was also purple day in my district, aka,
we all wore purple. This was also why I ended up wearing the same skirt two
days in a row, for my navy blue one was the only one that went with my purple
shirt (which wasn't actually my shirt). I'm just getting all kinds of crazy in
my clothes these days. Anyway, testimony meeting was wonderful, and I could
actually understand most of what was being said. Later that day President
Harrison spoke to us about ways of finding and contacting people in the field.
I am sure I am going to have some wonderful stories in just a few weeks here. I
speak like a three year old, but am sure going to try. Be excited. Devotional
Sunday night was Jenny Oaks Baker, which was wonderful. I have so many of her
songs on my mp3 player that I can't listen to here at the MTC, so it was nice
to listen to them live. Plus I got a spiritual talk in between.
Monday was good. We tried something different in our
lesson with Vadeem. Not sure if it worked. Oh well, the rest of Monday was
great.
Tuesday. I can always tell it's Tuesday because I hit a
brick wall at about 2:00pm, where my brain goes fuzzy and I am just exhausted.
I powered through though and studied vocab. And then devotional is that night
which is always great. At devotional Elder Jensen, a former member of the First
Quorum of the Seventy, spoke about bettering our scripture study. There are
definitely a lot of things I can work on, like being more discriminate in what
I actually write. He also gave a great suggestion of getting a new copy of the
Book of Mormon for each new calling, and marking it solely with that calling in
mind. At the end of the day Tuesday I was super hungry and finally broke down
and went to the vending machines. While there I embarked on the great
responsibility of helping a sister from Germany pick which snack she wanted, as
she had never had any of them. We finally decided on Cheetos. I'm not sure how
much she liked them though, as she was trying to share them with everyone
afterward. At least I saved her from the pop-tarts.
So that is all for this week. I am aware that much of my
family is up at the Cabin, which I'm a little bit jealous about. Honestly,
little things throughout this week have reminded me of it, like smells and
such. It also doesn't help that I'm in Utah, and the mountains are constantly
around me. But I absolutely know I am where I am supposed to be, and I would
not trade it one bit.
Love you all!
Sister Tanner
My time is done for the week, unfortunately. I LOVE YOU!! Go
collect a pretty rock from the cabin for me. LOVE YOU LOVE YOU LOVE YOU!
And send my love to all the family at the cabin :D
Editor's note: Several family members are missing from the cabin this week for various reasons. Also missing is Cooper/Elder Siebers, Diana's cousin. I had told her to try and get a photo together and she had run into him a few times but did not have her camera with her. I received a letter this week that said on her P-day she ran into Cooper by the recently restocked free food cart. So his hands are full of Subway sandwiches and she is in P-day clothes but we got the photo and they leave the MTC on the same day. He is going to Brazil.
Thanks for posting these, Stacy! So fun to hear how she is doing.
ReplyDelete