July 17, 2013
Thursday I saw Elder Siebers! I said hi and he said hi,
but that he couldn't talk because then he would be late for class. So he has gotten
into the spirit of things. I also saw Sister Sowa! I'm sad Elder Siebers’ and
Sister Sowa's visas didn't come through, but I am also happy that I get to
occasionally see them here. (Elder Siebers is Diana's first cousin and Sister Sowa is her good friend. They have both been called to serve in Brazil and were supposed to go to the MTC in Brazil but their visas have not arrived yet.)
Friday we ended up teaching two lessons, one to Karl and
the other to Vadeem. Both were well received, which was nice. Before the lesson
with Karl, we had him attend the "baptism" of "Sergei." We
asked him how it went, and he enjoyed it. We were talking about the gift of the
Holy Ghost, and we asked him what he knew about it. He had his hands like he
was holding a tube of some kind, and pointing out, and moving it around. I
couldn't understand what he was saying, and was just thinking of the Ghostbusters
and hoping that was not what he was describing. Turns out he was talking about
a 'talk" given at the baptism comparing the Holy Ghost to a flashlight.
phew. At the end of the lesson, Karl agreed to come to church, as well as be baptized!
so that was exciting. The second lesson of the day was part of a "plan,
study, teach." Another teacher, Brother Bush, came and spent the entire
second class period (about three hours) with Sister F and I. First we
planned our lesson, then personal study, then companion study (solidifying the
plan), then language study, and then we taught. It was a whirlwind. In the
lesson with Vadeem, Sister F and I hardly spoke, as Brother Bush mainly
did, but it was nice that he was able to explain some concepts and resolve some
concerns that Sister F and I were not able to do with our limited
language abilities. Vadeem agreed to come to church as well! On Friday we also
practiced giving a tour of the church building. It was kind of ridiculous
because all words involving church tours are not in our vocabulary, and all we
could do was work off of our little board display on the subject. Friday was
also Sister G's birthday, so she received lots of treats including a Rice
Krispies cake which we frosted and lit candles for outside. That night our
candy box also began in our room, and now we have tons of treats that we
probably eat too much of at night time.
Saturday was apparently a good day, but that's about all
I had written in my journal. sorry.
Sunday was busy again, but that is good. Because Sister F
and I are Sister Training Leaders, we have a meeting right after sacrament
meeting when everyone else has breakfast, so we have to eat breakfast before. This
means we miss the Russian hymn singing. If I thought that meant I would no
longer play piano I was wrong. Right now, I am apparently the only person who
knows how to play more than five hymns, so I played for Sacrament meeting. I
was really nervous though, because I found out the day before and had zero time
to practice. I was especially nervous for the musical number that I was also
supposed to be playing for, and had practiced once (and messed up). But, tender
mercies of the lord, we had a little bit of a different Sacrament meeting.
President Roach of the MTC presidency was there, and Bro. Robinson of the
branch presidency was also being released. So I played the opening hymn, the sacrament
hymn, and that is all I played. They called the sister and elder to give the
talks, then Bro. and Sis. Robinson spoke, then Pres. Harrison (our branch president),
and then he played a special musical number that doubled as our closing hymn. So
that was nice. Sunday we also received the list of the two new districts! We
are only receiving four new sisters. I know that is a lot for the old days, but
that is paltry for these days. My week, twelve new sisters reported. I guess
that is less sisters I need to worry about though. Oh, and they are all going
to Russia, no Ukraine (or Baltics) so that's sad.
Monday I did not have a whole lot written, except for one
thing that hit me hard. So we taught Vadeem that afternoon and afterward
Brother Parson (Vadeem) asked to speak to us about it. He told us that
something is just not clicking for Vadeem, and he wants us to teach with more
power. I remember reading a missionary letter a few months back where he mentioned
the exact same thing, and I thought "wow, I never want that to happen to
me." Well, here the exact thing happened. It was humbling to hear. We had
all the right elements, using scripture, asking questions, but Brother Parson
said he wanted us to bear testimony more and share more personal experiences. I
guess I'm too worried with communicating in Russian, and don't invite the
spirit enough. I would never want that to happen in the field.
Tuesday went by really fast. I was also reminded by
little things I would hear that the most powerful teaching tool is to just make
sure the investigator feels the spirit, and the strongest way you can do that
is by bearing your own testimony. After devotional that night they took a
picture of all of us, which is apparently only the third MTC wide picture in the
history of the MTC. I wish I could have enjoyed it more, but I was trying
desperately to suppress a coughing attack. Apparently my cough just does not
want to completely go away. It’s so close.
Today the new missionaries come! As Sister Training
Leader I get to greet them tonight, and show them the ropes, and make them feel
loved. I’m so excited. It's my consolation for not ever being able to host
(greet a new missionary as they are dropped off at the MTC) since our preparation day is on Wednesday (what a disappointing rule).
To answer your question Mom, no it is not really hot here
anymore. In fact, it is rather nice. However I cannot seem to convince my
district to return to the sand volleyball courts as they all want to play
volleyball or basketball in the 18M gym. It is rather sad.
And to end, a scripture I have discovered since being
here and absolutely love:
Alma 26:37 - "Now my brethren, we see that God is
mindful of every people, whatsoever land they may be in; yea, he numbereth his
people, and his bowels of mercy are over all the earth. Now this is my joy, and
my great thanksgiving; yea, and I will give thanks unto my God forever. Amen."
Diana
No comments:
Post a Comment